Pages

Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Home Made Cleaning Products

My husband and I, being newlyweds, have currently had a lot of expenses! I have been on the look out for any way at all I can save money. One of the ways I've found is to make my own cleaning products. This is something I have done before, but it was usually just to have on hand in case I ran out of something. The need to save money along with what I am continually learning about chemicals and the impact on our health was all I needed to convince me that this was a good choice for us. I've put a little info about the ingredients I use and the recipes :)

White Vinegar
This is gentle enough to use on hardwood floors, but can cut through dirt and soap scum. It is also a deodorizer, this doesn't just cover up the smell! Plus, the vinegar smell goes away as soon as it dries.

Baking Soda
This is a great replacement for other scouring powders. It is mildy abrasive and is a natural deodorizer.It works well for the bath tub and kitchen sink.

Essential Oils (Therapeutic Grade)
These don't just leave a pleasant scent behind, they have been proven to contain disinfectant properties equal to those in other more toxic cleaners. They also make a nice cover for the smell of vinegar while your cleaning!

Disinfectant Essential Oils (Therapeutic Grade)

Thyme
Grapefruit
Lemon
Lemongrass
Spruce
Clove
Eucalyptus
Cinnamon
Lavender (use this in combination with another as it is more for scent)

All Purpose Cleaner (Windows Included)

Ingredients:
Vinegar
Water
9-15 drops of your favorite disinfectant Essential Oils
(I use Lemon and Peppermint)

Get your "squirt bottle". Mix 1/2 vinegar, 1/2 water. Add the oils, put on the lid and shake.
This is my favorite cleaner mix. It cleans glass beautifully, and I know that the oils are disinfecting. Plus, it leaves a very fresh scent behind.

Bathroom Cleaner
Same as All Purpose Cleaner but with Cinnamon and Clove Oil

Tub/Sink Scrub

Ingredients:

6 tbs Baking Soda
5 drops of your favorite Essential Oil (optional)
5-6 tbs Water

Your gonna mix the water and baking soda into a paste and add the lemon oil. Grab your sponge and your ready to go! (For tougher soap scum let sit for 10-15 minutes)

Fabric Softener

1 cup Vinegar
5 drops of your favorite Essential Oil

This not only helps keep your washer free of soap buildup, but it softens your clothes without leaving an residue. This is great for anyone with sensitive. No worries, your clothes will NOT smell of vinegar. If you prefer dryer softeners, just cover a damp wash cloth with 5 drops of your favorite essential oil.

Toilet Bowl Cleaner

Vinegar
10 drops Clove and Cinnamon Essential Oil (Optional)

Fill spray bottle with vinegar and oils. Spray directly into bowl and scrub.
OR
Poor vinegar straight into towlet bowl and scrub with toilet brush.

I hope you find these useful. Not only are they easy and effective, but they are incredibly CHEAP! WOOOWOOO! I love when those three words can be put in the same sentence!

I'd love to hear if you have any home made recipes of your own!
Bea*

No comments:

Post a Comment